Adult and Family Homeless Services

BronxWorks is one of the premier homeless services agencies in New York City.

Homeless Services FAQs

What should I do if I see a homeless person on the street? 

Call 311, especially if they are behaving erratically. Within one hour, someone will arrive at the site to talk to the homeless individual and access the situation.

Do not give money to panhandlers as it enables them to stay out on the street. If someone is serious about helping the homeless, they should donate money or volunteer at a homeless services organization like BronxWorks.

How can I refer a family to a shelter? Can I make a direct referral to a BronxWorks facility?

Unfortunately, no. Families who have no place to go must apply for shelter at the New York City Department of Homeless Services (DHS)’ Prevention Assistance and Temporary Housing intake center and undergo an evaluation process. DHS decides where people are placed.