BronxWorks is here to provide assistance to the community filling out 2024 taxes through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program. Signing up for an appointment is easy.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program is a free income tax service for New York City residents who have an income of $85,000 or less with dependents, regardless of immigration or naturalization status. This service is designed for low- to moderate-income individuals, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English speakers.
BronxWorks VITA tax preparers are IRS-certified and trained. BronxWorks has operated a VITA site since 2007 and assists an average of 5,000 clients prepare their tax returns each year. This program operates from January to April each year.
No income is needed to qualify for the VITA program. However, individuals/families will need the following:
- An annual income of $59,000 and below if filing single
- An income less than $85,000 if filing with a spouse and/or claiming someone other than themselves
Clients are also able to apply for the Advanced Child Tax Credit with our VITA tax preparers.
Tax Preparation Document Checklist
- Photo ID for you and your Spouse.
- Social Security cards for EVERYONE!!!
- Childcare agency’s ID, or the name and Social Security number of the childcare provider.
- Sample check or a bank statement for direct deposit.
- W-2s for all jobs you’ve held in the prior year and all 1099 forms (if paid in cash or checks).
- 1095-A – Health insurance through marketplace.
- Form 1098-T if you paid tuition for post-high school education.
- 1099-G for unemployment benefits.
Through the Robin Hood VITA Pilot program, we offer optional assistance to individuals with dependents during tax season who completed their taxes at any of the BronxWorks Workforce Development VITA sites to achieve self-sufficiency through employment services, financial counseling, training opportunities, and access to benefits.
Book an appointment here: